Child Safety Link works with the IWK Regional Poison Centre to help educate Maritime communities about poisoning prevention. Children aged 5 years and younger are more at risk for poisonings because they like to explore the world by putting things in their mouths.
What is a poison?
A poison is something that can make you sick if you swallow it, taste it, smell it, get it on your skin, or get it in your eye. A poison can be a drug or a non-drug substance.
Child Safety Link recommends the following measures to help prevent poisonings in your home:
- Always keep medication, cleaning products and other toxins in their original, child-resistant, identifiable packaging. Never store non-food toxic products in old food containers, or in places where food would normally be (e.g. refrigerator).
- Do not rely on “child proof” or “child resistant” packaging alone. Given enough time and opportunity, children as young as 2 years have been able to open these containers and access the contents inside.
- Always store medication, cleaning products and other toxins in locked, high or other places that young children will not be able to reach.
- Keep your handbag (and those of your guests) up high and out of reach of young children. There are many items commonly carried in purses that could injure a child (e.g. nicotine products, pills, hand sanitizers, cosmetics).
If you know or even suspect that your child has eaten a poison, it is best to call for advice immediately.
In Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, call the IWK Regional Poison Centre at 1-800-565-8161 or (902)470-8161. In New Brunswick, call 911. The IWK Regional Poison Centre is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week as a confidential source of information on poisons and poison exposures for both children and adults.
Poison Prevention Resources
The following resources will provide you with the top tips for keeping your children safe from poisonings.
Poison Prevention Videos